Friday, March 21, 2014

super



I’ve finally made a legit connection with the woman Nelsy (she is one of the Deaf woman here in town), her mother and the boyfriend/husband of Nelsy. Meeting the mother and boyfriend has been my desire because meeting them means getting permission to spend time with Nelsy. I want to get to know all of them and share with them this love of language. I want them to know that Nesly is smart and should have the opportunity to learn like everyone else. I want Nelsy to know that there is a way for her to communicate and not have to be frustrated all the time. I want to love this family.
I had the opportunity to go up to the house of Nelsy’s mom last week and talk with her, there I asked her for permission to spend time with Nelsy to talk and teach her Mexican Sign. She told me what I already knew… Nelsy has to work, she works everyday selling foods, she has no time, her husband would not like it, etc. Yes I know most of that is true BUT I knew that this woman was also fearful.  Nelsy is the only way of income for them… walking from their house to the base, all around town, to the beach, and even to Rio to sell the food they prepare. If she isn’t working they won’t make money. Then there is the man that Nelsy lives with. At one time he went with her to learn some signs taught in Puerto Escondido but said that he would never go back, he did not like it and did not want Nelsy going either. Well Nelsy’s mom ended saying that she would talk with Nelsy and the husband. He thanked me for coming and for being interested. I headed to the next town over Rio to meet Genna and on our way back home our taxi driver stopped to pick up more people. When I opened the door to move into the front seat I saw Nelsy! Nelsy and a man hopped into the back seat with Genna. I soon realized the man was her husband. NOT a coincidence. Genna and I talked to him a little bit, mostly he talked and I didn’t understand all of it but by the time we got out of the taxi he was inviting me over to teach both him and Nelsy Sunday evenings when they both are home and free. I WAS SHOCKED! I did not expect that at all… I thought I was going to have to convince him but he offered. SO God, right there.  I was so excited I even jumped. I didn’t have words but was in awe. While walking home alone I walked surely with my mouth wide open. Once again I am shown to trust in His ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment