Tuesday, July 1, 2014

-body talk-

So I had a worm. Well, not just one. It's more likely I had many... many little worms living inside my intestines. That explains why I was feeling the way I was, though (not that I voiced any of these feelings): insomnia, anxiety, irritability, nausea, lack of appetite, restlessness, itching in not pleasant areas, and major abdominal pain.  Its funny, I have joked many times with others about worms and said things like, "Hey, maybe I have one." Well, I did and I have probably had it since November. NOVEMBER. That is a long time to go with worms living and affecting your body. You'd think I would have realized something was wrong and gone for help. Nope, not me.

In my defense, though, the symptoms were not consistent. The symptoms would come and go during those months and I couldn't figure out was going on. By May it was bad. I was suffering physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I'd be so excited to do something, but then I would feel like I could sleep all day. Inside I felt like I had no emotion. Just "blahhhh." It was awful. I thought maybe it was the food I was eating and I needed to change my eating, which may have been true. Those stinkin' worms sucked away my nutrients for 8 months! In December I was told that I have an iron deficiency, so the worms just made everything that much worse. If you want to know more about pin worms, look it up. Google can help you. Yuck.
By June I was feeling pretty crummy. I went to visit some friends in Queretaro, Mexico which was wonderful, but the whole time I felt like a zombie. Lethargy hit hard. Then I had a few days back at my home in Oaxaca, Mexico before I flew off to California for a week of rest. Let me tell you, that plane ride to LAX was draining. I cried on the plane, overwhelmed by exhaustion, and felt ready to sleep forever. The month leading up to my California trip, I started thinking that I may have a worm (or 2 or 3 or many, many more) and was waiting until I went to California to get the right medication. 
That week in California was amazing. There was prayer, there was communion and fellowship, there was encouragement, there was healing and being made whole. I got loaded up on herbs and veggies and then my last day (praise Jesus!), a few hours before heading to the airport, I was given the right medication. The herbs were AMAZING. After just one day I saw a difference.
So here I am now, waiting to see how it all clears out (literally, ha ha). Since I've been back in Oaxaca, I feel alive again. I can get through the day without sleeping for hours and hours. I can eat again without feeling full and bloated. I can sleep at night without waking up with anxious thoughts and ridiculous fears. These last 8 months have been a time of seeking, a time of listening, a time of questioning, and a time of real wrestling, but hope has always been near. God seems to be changing everything I ever thought I knew and I am being constantly humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment